OCTOBER 2013 - GET NUTRITIOUS!
Fall in Love with Oranges
Autumn is all about the oranges – pumpkins, butternut squash, sweet potatoes, carrots...
These vegetables have more than just their color in common;
they're all packed full of Vitamin A, an important vitamin that helps to boost the immune system, prevent eye problems and is essential
for healthy skin as well as growth and development of cells. Vitamin A has also been linked to the prevention of some types of cancer!
Highlight – The Sweet Potato
This amazing root vegetable contains tons of infection-fighting vitamins,
with 438% of your daily value. While it contains a high percentage of the
vitamins you need to sustain a healthy diet, it is also delicious!
Love French fries but have a hard time fitting them into your diet?
Check out this amazing, low calorie and vegan recipe for Rosemary Sweet
Potato Wedges and fulfill your desire for the savory treat.
Recipe – Rosemary Sweet Potato Wedges
– 2 tablespoons of vegan buttery spread
– 2 tablespoons of olive oil
– 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh rosemary (or 2 tablespoons dried)
– 3 medium, organic sweet potatoes
– 1 teaspoon sea salt
– 2 teaspoons minced garlic
– ¼ teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450º F.
- Melt buttery spread with the olive oil in a small saucepan over medium heat – stir in the rosemary and garlic.
- Cut sweet potatoes in about 1 ½ inch-thick wedges and season with sea salt, pepper and buttery mixture.
- Arrange the potato wedges on a large baking sheet on one layer.
- Place wedges on the top rack of the oven and bake for about 20 minutes, turning once about halfway through.
- Serve hot