Drink Water Instead of Sugary Drinks
Regular soda and other sweet drinks are high in calories because they have a lot of added sugar. Just one can of regular soda contains about 10 teaspoons of sugar! Instead, reach for a tall glass of water.
- Try adding a slice of lemon, lime, cucumber, or watermelon or a splash of 100% juice to your glass of water if you want some flavor.
- For a change, try unsweetened sparkling water.
- Other drinks include fat-free or low-fat milk or a small glass of 100% juice. (Check the label. Does it say “no added sugar”?)
- Sugary drinks are not limited to soda and fruit drinks. Many sweetened teas, coffees, and sports drinks are high in added sugars. Check the label.
- If you do have an occasional sugar-sweetened drink, choose the small size.